Flat file content management systems like Typemill do not need a database, because they store the content in markdown files on the server. This has a lot of benefits:
- The installation is easier, you can simply upload the code-files of the cms and the system will run.
- You can run as many websites as you want, even if your hoster does not provide any database.
- A flat-file cms is often faster than a cms with a database.
- A flat-file cms is more secure, because there is no database to hack (no sql-injections, for example).
- A flat-file cms is often easier to maintain and to extend.
- If you want to use your content, then simply download the markdown-files.
- You can also write your markdown files elsewhere and upload them to Typemill.
- If you want to backup your whole website or move it to another server, then simply download and move the whole system.
- The markdown language has been developed especially for authors. You can read the markdown files without problems and you can transform them into html easily.
Typemill also uses the flat file technology because files are a natural companion for authors: You decide where you write your files, where you store your files, and what you do with your files. And creating publications from files feels more natural, does it?